-=PCTechTalk=- Windows Media Player Classic

  • From: "Lilian Oswaldo-Cruz" <lilian.oswaldocruz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:14:41 -0300

Hi everyone,

I have a "musical" problem (among others...).  I installed Winamp latest
version on my second computer, checked the required file associations, etc,
but it refuses to play... any format!  It shows the name of the song, but
does not budge from 00:00.

The strange thing is that when I play a WMA up comes a Media Player Classic
(just like the old Microsoft 6.4) with the exception that this one is
copyrighted by "Gabest" 2002-2005.  In the Help section of the player there
is an option to Donate, which seems strange if it is a genuine Microsoft
program.  When I clicked on donate this website came up:
http://macworld.kagi.com/

I am afraid something installed this on my computer, and it is hijacking
Winamp.  I am scanning with Malwarebytes and hopefully it will come up with
something.  My problem is that I don´t know the name of the program to
unistall it :o(  I did a search under Media Player Classic, but came up with
nothing, so the program exe must have another name...

A little later:
Winamp now plays midi and ASF formats.  But WMA and MP3 come up in the Media
Player Classic.  I unchecked ALL file formats from the file associations
list in the classic player, but it still comes up...  I reinstalled Winamp.
Still does not work.  Malwarebytes came up with nothing.

Anybody have any ideas?  Thanks for your help!

Lil

in the Subject.