-=PCTechTalk=- Trying to building a P4 PC - unsuccessfully!

  • From: "Jeff Fleet" <jeff.fleet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:47:59 +0100

Hello all,
Please let me tell you this tale of woe & I ask if anyone can offer any
suggestions. I decided to build a computer from scratch. I decided to
purchase my components from ebay. I purchased at D850GB motherboard to take
a socket 423 Pentium 4 processor, then 2 x 512mb of PC800 SDRAM, soundcard,
tower c/w power supply, 64mb PCI graphics card, 80gb HDD, DVD/CDROM and a CD
re-writer. Finally, I purchased a "pulled non-tested" 1.9GHZ CPU. However,
when the seller came to dispatch the item, she discovered that it was only
1.7GHZ & so sent me that along with another 1.4GHZ free of charge. After
building the machine, on my first boot, the motherboard lit up with its
LED's & heat sink came on & no warning bleeps, but nothing came on screen at
all. So I swapped the 1.7GHZ for the 1.4GHZ but gain nothing. I stripped the
machine so that the other drives etc were not connected, but nothing on
screen again. A friend was able to test the memory & that worked fine. I
defiantly had the two continuous RIMMS in the right place & even swapped
them around, but the problem was not there. Ok, I thought, I must have a
faulty motherboard, so I purchased another - again nothing but a blank
screen. I tried a friends AGP card instead of my PCI graphics card. I am
totally dumfounded as what to do next apart from buying another CPU,
possibly with a 423 pin to 478 pin converter on it. Can anybody suggest
anything else or have any  ideas?

Jeff