-=PCTechTalk=- Re: pctechtalk Digest V5 #199

  • From: "ukonline" <ted.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:04:38 +0100

sorry if I'm being over simplistic, but could it be that you're OS is
seeing the installed copy of ubuntu as 'read only'
since the source was a CD
cheers Ted
=================================
From: <mytoybox1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- " Trying to get rid of Ubuntu "
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:12:07 -0500
Hiya ... first a good tip ... if you are using Firefox as your browser, you can
enlarge the size of the text on the page your looking at by holding down the
Control key and pull the scroll wheel on your mouse towards you ... move it
away from you to decrease the size of the text .
Now for my problem . I took some of our member`s advice and installed Ubuntu as
a clean install on a new hard drive on my Dell .

I did not know or think about it not being supported by Netzero my ISP ....
well it is`nt ( frown ) .

Now I can`t uninstall or delete Ubuntu from my hard drive , I tried deselecting
entry`s in Grub ... can`t locate MBR to delete it .

I made a copy of a program called " Eraser " on a bootable floppy which Ubuntu
did not acknowledge or recognize ... I also burned the " Erase " program to a
CD and Ubuntu informed me that a blank disk was present ... I put the CD and
floppy in my Windows XP PC and both had the correct size of the file installed
on them .

I also investigated a Linux program called " Scrub " which has to be installed
in Ubuntu to be available to use ... did`nt have a clue as to how to do this
... at this point I feel really stupid .

I have searched Google for " Uninstall Ubuntu " ... " Erase Ubuntu " and
persued several page`s that Google suggested and was inundated or overwhelmed
with Linux user`s ( more experienced than I ) giving me a bunch of Linux speak
and command`s that I did not understand nor what to do with ( look of
bewilderment ) ... and ( shrugging shoulder`s ) in disgust .

Anybody understand my delema and how to get this damned thing off of my
computer ?

I really need help .

Oooh yeah ... I tried to install Linspire 4.0 over Ubuntu and was totally
ignored ... Netzero my ISP support`s Linspire .

Befuddled in Wichita,

LiL OL Me
Teri Lee