-=PCTechTalk=- Re: ip address Redux

  • From: David F Wooledge <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 03:11:13 -0500

Cris,
Yes that is the MSN Messenger IM program that seems to be trying to go
online.  Since you have it blocked with the Zone Alarm Firewall I would
not worry about it.  Do you use MS Outlook Express for email?  If so OE
tries to start MSN Messenger.  That could be why you see Zone alarm
blocking it so many times.  I seem to remember a way to turn that off.
Look in the part of ADD\Remove Programs that let's you set your default
programs.  IM should be there.  Try to disable use of MSN Messenger.  If
you have another IM Program such as AIM or ICQ or whatever, if it is
listed try to set it as default.  Sorry I can't be clearer, I am now
using 2003 Server and no not have XP installed anymore.
Dave
http://www.geocities.com/wooledge001_/
http://www.mental-health-advocate.us

From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: ip address Redux
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:33:41 -0500

<Message Cut by DFW>

Now!! maybe you can answer this question!!!
when I look in my zone alarm log - I have blocked messenger. It is
amazing -
Messenger tries to send out almost non-stop. I have this program as
disabled as
I know how!! and supposedly, it is near impossible to remove it from the
computer - without causing a dominoe affect of problems. Do you know a
better
way to disable it? This is the windows messenger - the chat program, I
believe.
or msn messenger. I have it as uninstalled in add/remove asmuchas it will
go. I
also have the XP messenger thingy shut down.
what I've blocked is:
Messenger
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsg.exe
version 4.7.0105