-=PCTechTalk=- Re: installing windows XP Pro upgrade

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:45:03 -0400

I don't know if the upgrade version of Pro was designed to upgrade from Home
to Pro.  If I remember correctly, the upgrade versions of XP Home and XP Pro
were released to upgrade from either 98/ME or just ME.  I'm not sure which.
Check the installation instructions and EULA for the Pro upgrade to see what
the requirements are.

In the past, every time I upgraded from one OS to another (from DOS to DOS
to DOS to Windows 3.1 to Windows 95) I always formatted the harddrive,
inserted the upgrade disc and then during installation it would prompt me to
tell it where the OS was that I was upgrading.  I would insert the install
disc of the old system and point the upgrade to it and the installation
proceeded without incident.

If that doesn't work, use the restore disc to get a clean install of your
old system.  Use the START>All Programs>ProgramName>Uninstall option and/or
the Control Panel ADD/REMOVE software function to remove all unwanted
software.  Delete everything else that you do not want... including files
and folders left over from the uninstall process.  Then use two different
system cleanup tools to clean up the registry and rest of the system...
including invalid shortcuts and the like.

Once you are certain that you have a nice clean install of ONLY what you
want, then run the upgrade installation and proceed from there.

Don