-=PCTechTalk=- Re: database III program question

  • From: "George Imrie" <g.imrie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 00:59:06 -0000

Hi Cristy

I may be wrong on this point (is many years since I last used Dbase--in any
form--in anger), but I seem to remember that there was a conversion tool
included with later versions which could convert v.III datafiles onto later
versions (and also into formats like CSV, FPM etc for other apps).
Certainly, you're going to need to talk to someone who is actually still
using Dbase in some shape or form, since (from what I can remember) the
datafiles on that package are coded in a particularly unique way.

Might it be an idea to contact the company concerned (if they are still
around) and see whether they can convert this data over? Unfortunately,
using something like Access, FileMaker or other databases currently on the
market on the data as you now have it is NOT likely to work: Dbase (at that
time) made quite a big play of the fact that their filing system WAS unique,
and was therefore safe from other folks trying to read the data in (by their
way of it) inferior databases.

If you put it to the company that you are thinking of buying the package,
but need this data transferred into something which later versions can use,
they may be more amenable to doing the conversion for you.....

Just a few thoughts........

Geo. & Shirley Anne

Computer Scanned and Virus Database Updated Daily with Panda Titnaium 2007
AVG