-=PCTechTalk=- Re: anti virus

  • From: "Andy" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:40:05 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grant Karpik" <gkarpik@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On 3 Aug 2003 at 11:17, kg6ocz wrote:
>
> > Wellll my first question would be because it on some web site does that
> > mean what they say is TRUE? only ONE web site?  And WHO is saying it?
> > Now if I was researching trusted web sites and 8 out of 10 made such a
> > statement I would think maybe there might be some validity..but some web
> > site somewhere doesn't prove a THING.
>
> A number of serious (as opposed to places like Cnet or ZDnet) ant-virus
sites rate AVG
> as being pretty poor in their tests. Here's one:

What a really,really awful report...I wonder just what they installed as
this is NOTHING like my experience..which I've detailed below

Cons - AVG Antivirus:
  a.. Comes only with a basic (automated) interface without the possibility
to adjust any settings
>>I can make as many adjustments to it as I need

  a.. Doesn't check for double infected files
>>Can't say, never had one

  a.. Some users have had freezes and other major stability issues on
Windows 2000 and XP
>>Run it on both o/s's without ANY problems and have put it on dozens of
machines for other people who have no problems either.

  a.. Slows down your computer considerably
>>Not here it doesn't..I've installed it recently on an AMD450  that run
without any noticeable difference in operations.

  a.. Inserts ads in your email messages.
>>Not if you don't want it to, it doesn't-and many users see the message it
inserts as an advantage!

  a.. You need to use DOS commands for some advanced operations.
>>Which?

  a.. Log file displays limited info
But enough for 99.999% of users

  a.. You can't see anything in systray, so you don't know if it's running
or not
>>So what is that four coloured box I see running in my systray AND the
systray of every single installation I've ever done?
Major flaws - AVG Antivirus:
  a.. Terrible virus detection rate
>>It has NEVER failed me

  a.. Doesn't update their virus definition files very often (monthly
intervals, should be twice a week)
>> I check 3 times a week manually, and I usually get an update on at least
two of them

  a.. Deletes infected files without warning. This is especially bad if the
file didn't contain a virus after all (a false positive).
>>It's always asked me if I want to move it to the virus vault-it doesn't
delete ANYTHING

  a.. Very low on scripts, backdoors and trojans.
Again, never let me down.

To sum up,  I've found AVG excellent-the fact it is free is immaterial to
me-if it didn't work, I wouldn't use it-it works just fine.

Andy