-=PCTechTalk=- Re: ZA uninstall

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:56:41 -0500

No.  If it works and doesn't give you problems, then keep it.  You could do
worse.  I only recommend not using Zone Alarm if it cause system problems,
blocks things that you don't want blocked, or if you are deciding on a
firewall.

Zone Alarm, when it's working, does the job.  Problem with it is that it
isn't very configurable because it isn't rules based, it's only application
based.  That may have changed by now, but I don't think so.  The other
thing about ZA is that it *can* cause conflicts with software and hardware
and it's not always easy to pinpoint.

If you're deciding on a firewall, in addition to testing ZA, also try
Outpost, Sygate, and Kerio - in that order - and be sure to totally
uninstall them before trying the new one.  System restore points before
installation is one good way, but a registry cleaner will work as well.  ZA
behaves badly lots of times when it uninstalls.  Outpost and Sygate do not
in all my tests on the machines here.

If you want a pure firewall and love to view logs and graphics, Sygate is
the best, in my opinion.  If you want to add content blocking (Scripts,
ads, sites, and email protection) with good logging, go with Outpost.  If
you know something about internet protocols, try Kerio as well.  If you
want to have a firewall and don't want to bother learning how it works,
then go with ZA and hope it doesn't create issues - it doesn't always.  If
you want more control and take the time to learn how to set up the rules,
or if you're one of the unfortunate ones who've had problems with ZA, try
the others.  All of them, properly configured, work well.

Too often, I've heard the "solution" to Zone Alarm problems be "turn it off
when you're doing <whatever is causing the problem> and then turn it back
on."  I'm sorry, I don't ever want to turn off my firewall while I'm
online.  That's just silly.  You can get hit in a second as well as you can
in a day, although the likelihood is greater the longer you're unprotected.

On 7/10/2003 at 12:34 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Angela
Cooke was rumoured to have uttered....