-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Yet Another Dell Computer Problem Update

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:27:35 -0400

Sue,
    It sounds like your computer is going into a deep sleep when left alone
too long, but you're just not giving it enough time to revive.  Some systems
have a difficult time coming out of the deeper sleep modes such as
Hibernation.  But even the ones that don't have trouble still have a
significant delay before the system comes back up.  This is because
Hibernation mode actually copies everything that's in RAM, places it in a
file on your hard drive and then turns almost everything off.  When you go
to 'wake up' the system, it has to re-awaken all of the parts and then
recopy the stuff from that memory file back into RAM before it will activate
the screen.  Since most of this action doesn't require too many moving
parts, it will seem like the system has frozen, when it really hasn't.  It's
only made worse by the fact that some systems actually WILL freeze up.

    For this reason, I always turn off the option to allow Hibernation mode.
To check if it's allowed on your system (and to turn it off if that's your
wish), go into Control Panel and open up the Power Options applet.  Click on
the Hibernate tab and you'll see the check box that controls it.  While you
have the applet open, go to the Power Schemes tab and change the function of
your system to "Home/Office Desk".  That will automatically change the
options below it to only black out the monitor when not in use and should be
enough to remove your system's ability to fall asleep to deeply in the
future.  To wake up the system, just move your mouse a little and the screen
will come right back up.  Of course, if you plan to not use the computer for
a while but want to leave it running, turn the monitor off manually to save
electricity.         :O)

http://www.naturalnews.com/023033.html

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"