-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows Explorer keeps crashing

  • From: "zat" <zzzatso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:59:06 -0700

I have Spybot and Adaware installed and run them regularly, also running
ZoneAlarm Pro w/ adblocking set to high. Sometimes the desktop seems to
'refresh' itself when in actuality Explorer just did a shutdown/restart. I
changed the icons for my computer, recycle bin, doc folder and it will lose
those and revert back to the default icons. When changing the icons back i
get a popup saying:

"Application popup: rundll32.exe - Bad Image : The application or DLL
C:\My_Icons\Trek\10.ico is not a valid Windows image. Please check this
against your installation diskette." It was valid when I downloaded it. I
even did a unzip/replace from the original zip, nada, same issue. I can open
the icon in Irfan and it reports as an icon, right click, properties, shows
as icon.

This now happens with a great deal of my icons (not the shell icons though)
it comes up with the message then will finally show the icon and I can then
apply it and it will work.

I've scanned this thing every way from Sunday, no viruses, did a system scan
then an online scan, both negative. Have scanned for trojans, negative.
Scanned for spyware, clean. Have checked the registry and no problems there.
I've even done chkdsk c: /f and no errors reported.

Starting to pull my hair out over this! LOL

zat