-=PCTechTalk=- Re: What is a netdde.exe

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:21:31 -0700

Hi Lyn,
I had not heard of it before, but I found this page;
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_n.htm
Microsoft Windows Network DDE server (DDE =3D Dynamic Data Exchange).
Network DDE is a technology that allows applications that use the DDE
transport to transparently exchange data over a network.  For the layman a
typical application of NetDDE is chatting over a network where WinChat, or
some other chat program, will automatically be started by NetDDE when
someone else on the network calls you.  In this particular example, without
NetDDE running in the background you would have to be running WinChat at all
times in order to instantly receive a chat message.

Recommendation :
If NetDDE is running on your PC it was probably configured in this manner by
some software that needs it to "do things" over a network, like the WinChat
chat program mentioned above, or Microsoft=92s Hearts networked game for
that matter.  If you do not have such software running on your PC, or do not
use it, then simply disable or delete NetDDE with Startup Manager.
~~~~

You may have better luck running Defrag from safe mode.

Or you could download the free version of Power Defrag2 from this site.
http://www.powerdefrag.com/
Power Defrag 2.00 is a system tool for Windows 95, Windows 98,
Windows 98 SE and Windows ME which improves the performance
of the Microsoft disk defragmenter tool and prevents some common
types of crashes.
~~~~

This is also a good defrag program which can be added to older versions of
Windows.
ME version DEFRAG
http://AroundCNY.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html

<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
A Technical Support Alliance Member
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techsupportalliance/

On 22/10/2002 at 8:06 AM Michael Scott wrote:

Hello Group,

Defrag went back to the beginning because there had been a change. I had
got rid of most things so checked with Ctrl, Alt, Del and found something I
have never seen before.
It was something called netdde.exe version 4.10.1998.
It is Microsoft Windows DDE...whatever that is. It must have been this that
caused defrag to restart. Can someone tell me what it is or what it does?
 Lyn