-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Theoretical techical question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 05:59:44 -0400

I also agree with Dave on this.  The apps available these days, given a
strong enough system, of course, are designed to recognize various forms of
encryption by their inherent signatures.  It's safer against script kiddies
to multi-encode your files, but a dedicated cracker with enough incentive
and knowledge will eventually break through just about anything you can
conjure up, provided he has the right tools at his/her disposal.

One approach that would help would be to keep all client records on external
drives and only turn them on when required.  Then, remember to unmount them
as soon as you're done.  While the data is not 'live', it cannot possibly be
tappped into or copied from across the internet.  This, of course, doesn't
do anything to prevent someone from physically removing the drive and
working on it directly, so continue encrypting the data however many ways
you choose.  I would also keep backups of everything stored on a second set
of drives and locked away from all but the most professional of
safe-crackers.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

"The entire future of humankind is yet to be written"