-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Surge Suppressor

  • From: Robert Carneal <carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:32:57 -0500

<Copy>
I also read somewhere that connecting a UPS and surge protector together is
not a good idea. I can NOT state this with assurance and leave that
possibility to others who know more about these things then I.
<End>

Do you remember where you read this? If this is true, I need to do some
thinking. We have a "home surge protector" installed the meter by power
company. They told us it would protect us for the entire home, garage, &
workshop all in one shot. It is the biggest surge protector I have seen,
actually mounted on the exterior wall. I have UPS batteries for the
computer and 1 monitor. According to the power company this is ok because:
1. Anytime TOO MUCH power attempts to enter the home, it is stopped at the
meter and the excess is redirected into the ground, and,
2. If there are case we don't have enough power coming in the home, the UPS
batteries can fill gap.

Thanks.

Robert