-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Seems Like I Tempted Fate

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:31:23 -0400

Just recently (within the last few days) I had a lot of IRREPLACEABLE files
suddenly disappear on me. I went nuts trying to recover the stuff. On
diagnosing the drive, the physical drive checked out ok using scandisk and
Norton Disk Doctor. But, using another app it showed me that the MFT was
corrupted. As a result, a lot of my stuff was either gone, or partially written
over. On research for recovery software, two came of great use... Active's File
Recovery and Ontrack's EasyRecovery Pro. Using both, I recovered about 90% of
my now-corrupted files. It even allowed me to recover stuff that was on the
drive BEFORE I formatted it (remember how they say nothing is ever safe from
prying eyes???).
Anyway... the Ontrack software is really great, and worth the money. But,
obviously, you need to be able to get into the OS in order to try to recover.
But, I mention Ontrack cause they also offer recovery services if you can't
access the drive at all. Supposedly, Ontrack is one of the more noted companies
for doing this. And, I believe they have both onsite service as well as "send
us the drive" service.

I hope your lost data is THAT important, cause from what I hear recovery
services on a physical drive is pretty expensive. Either way, go to Ontrack's
website and see if they can help:
http://www.ontrack.com

---Troth