-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Running apps at the same time

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 22:46:05 -0400

The first word that comes to mind is 'competition'.

Any two processes trying to focus on the same resources will end up in a
fight over which one gets to do what with them.  It's not as serious as two
AV apps running at the same time, but it's still bound to cause problems.
Just think of how you sometimes get a warning that a file cannot be moved,
copied, opened, etc. simply because it's already in use and you''ll have a
pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.  By the same token, it's not a
good idea to have more than one real-time malware scanner working in the
background of a system.  This is why you've seen me recommend dropping
Spyboy's TeaTimer in favor of WinPatrol.  Adding WinPatrol to TeaTimer would
drive any system to problems since both would be trying to scan the same
stuff as it came into the system.

On the other hand, there's nothing at all wrong with running one scan until
it has finished and then running another scanning utility as a follow up.
In fact, when it comes to malware, that's something I normally recommend.

So, you CAN have more than one AV &/or AM program installed, but there are
pitfalls you HAVE to be aware of and avoid at all cost or else you're going
to have problems.  Many AV apps will detect the other AV app's definition
files as malware, so not all AV apps can be installed together with another.
Simultaneous scans (AV or AM) will induce fighting between the apps, so only
run one real-time scanner at a time and only allow one of them to manually
scan a hard drive area at any one time.  You can have many different AM
utilities installed at once, but only one of them can be set for real-time
scanning and only one can manually scan at any given time.

As for the invite, I don't see it as special.  The only difference I can see
is that my invite (as opposed to yours) can be more direct without fear of
losing a friend.  However, I often speak to my friends the same way if I see
them sabatoging their opportunities to learn something or move ahead
(provided it's not immoral, of course).    lol

There's a saying that God only helps those who help themselves.  I'm not a
religious person, but I CAN tell you that Gman works in a similar way.
;)

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php