-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Remote Registry

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:59:01 -0400

You may have avoided the camera for the past 20 years, but I think I already
have at least one picture of you that you uploaded to our Photo's area about
7 or 8 years ago.  I'll have to check my archives on that.         lol

Sammi, Roger has once again proven that he is, in fact, PCtechTalk's
Guardian Angel.  If you've already checked out the link he included, you've
already seen that there are several methods you can take to work through
this.  Method 1 describes connecting to the registry remotely using another
computer on the same network.  That's not something I can do from here since
I'm not on the same network.

So, I'd like to offer another solution (which is the same one that I believe
Roger has in mind).  The issue/fix is now clear as a bell and I can easily
see what needs to be done to fix it (modify a single registry key within
your own installation of Windows).  Unfortunately, you can't boot into that
installation to get to the registry, so it has to be done from outside of
the affected Windows.  The best part is that you already have a Host system
there that can easily access the registry files on your own drive.  However,
mounting one registry hive within another registry is a bit tricky and
probably not something I wish to describe today (my fingers already hurt
enough from this last week's help I have given over several groups
lol).

So, how do you feel about establishing a Remote Assistance connection
between us so you can just watch me make the change?

Peace,
Gman