-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OT-changing jobs/still employed

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:49:52 -0600

lol Billy!

1.]  if a prospective employer is offended by the question of monetary
recompense, I don't think that I would want to work for them... but, if this
is done blind, over the phone, you may not get the answer you are looking
for.  some employers have a base salary that is flexible, depending on the
applicant's resume.

2.]  if your present employer were to be in the market to replace you, would
they notify you beforehand?  probably not...  and you have legal, complete
access to your employment files at any time.

3.]  the truth is that any company will not collapse without even key
personnel... the job market is huge, with more people looking for employment
than there are jobs to fill.  the old adage is true - at least I have found
it to be so - that it is easier to find a job when one is already employed.

4.]  they WILL find a replacement for you, or restructure so that your
duties are absorbed by another or divyed up amongst the rest of your team.
the problem with leaving a company on the spot like that is that you have
burned that bridge... and when an prospective employer calls to verify
information that one has provided on an application, one of the standard
questions asked is if the former employee would be considered for re-hire.

just the .02 from someone who used to be in a position to hire others.

~s