-=PCTechTalk=- Re: O/S on a CD??

  • From: "Andy" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:54:06 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>

> There are a few varieties of Linux that will run off one CD...even off one
> floppy.  No WinDoze that I know of.  These are somewhat limited, though.
> The best plan for an emergency is a second hard drive with a clean bare
> bones image file on it or a set of CD's with the same.

I downloaded the Knoppix one last night and it's quite nice-worked straight
away, only took about 2 minutes to load, and with a bit of 'mounting', I
soon had access to my hard drives It's a couple of years since I last
dabbled with Linux, and I was surprised to see how much 'easier' things
seemed to be, and how easy it was to set up network connections..etc.

Are Windows missing out on an untapped market here?

Cheers

Andy