-=PCTechTalk=- Re: My little project

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:12:33 -0500

Not having running water was a nuisance.  The outhouse was a pretty much a
pain too.  I really wasn't bothered then about electricity and phone, though.
I spent the summers and school vacations without both and actually enjoyed
it.  Much as I love my computer and football games, I'd still like to get
back to doing without it for a couple months out of the year.  There's plenty
to do if you're easily amused <G> and it's *wonderful* being away from the
noise and distraction.  I could actually get some good reading time in as
well - something I don't find enough time for anymore.

I'm thinking about buying a place in the mountains with some water nearby,
building a second home and conveniently forgetting to put in the utility
lines.  The kids will miss me, though.  <G>

There was no novelty to it for me.  It was simply a different way of living
and I found that I could live like that on a full time basis just as well as
I could live in the modern lifestyle.  You have much more to do to get
through a day, but oddly enough you have more time to do it.  The reason I
wish the kids could have been there is because when you live in that kind of
environment, it really breaks life down into its simplest form.  You have
very real and tangible priorities and you have to be more actively involved
in your leisure.

Another nice thing about the kerosene lamps...if you turn them way low, but
not out, when you go to bed, the light patterns on the ceiling are very
relaxing and almost hypnotic.  Good thing when you're not the kind of person
who just drops off to sleep right away.