-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Microsoft Update`

  • From: "Kathy Ferrell" <fnkdf@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:10:45 -0800

Thanks for warning folks!

You know, if these fools would get a clue and use correct grammer,
punctuation and spelling it wouldn't be so darned easy to tell that they
are a bogus attempt by illiterate idiots at getting folks to infect
their computers.  My opinion of virus and worm writers' intelligence is
pretty much always backed up by their stupidity when it comes to
attempting to copy legitimate websites.  They invariably use half
sentences, don't capitalize the first word in a sentence or say
something utterly alien to English phraseolgy (if that's even a word)
(Well, I never said I was *that* smart)  ;)  The problem is, it's really
easy for folks to blast through a quick scan of something and miss all
those little details and then think it's legitimate.  So, keep an eye
out and really read things carefully is my advice before clicking on
anything.  You did the smart thing by going to the horses mouth and
checking for updates on your own.

I always send out warnings to my users when these kinds of things come
out and, generally, we've been pretty lucky because with a bit of
forewarning, they stop a minute and then decide they should check with
me first before doing drastic things.

So far, (knock on wood) I've only had one staff member execute the
patch.  She was so scared afterwards, she called me immediately and I
had her unplug from the network until I got there with all the fixes.
It still took me a good hour to get the junk off her machine and make it
all well again.  One good thing came out of it...she'll never click on
any executable again.  She was pretty mortified that she actually was
had so that alone was worth it in my opinion.  No reproachment from me
could do it better than that hands on experience.  So, see, good can
come out of all situations if one looks deep enough. That's one less
staff member I ever have to worry about doing something they shouldn't.
:)

Ya'll be careful out there!  Kat

"Most people don't pay attention to the calm voice of reason unless it's
juxtaposed by screaming idiots on either side of the fence."