-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Laptop recommendations

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:35:47 -0400

I was just thinking about you last night and wondering where you've been.
:O)

I agree with your friend on most points, but both companies now have
processors made specifically for laptops that don't suffer this issue.  In
directly comparing the two company's better CPU offerings, I would choose
Intel over AMD for most things.  However, it has nothing to do with their
ability to idle.  Additionally, that wasn't always the case.  I built my
current main system around an AMD-based chipset.  It's just that today's
offerings favor the Intel CPU.  Given another year, that could swing back
the other way.

The biggest point you need to clarify is how the laptop will be used.
Specifically, what are the most computationally intensive activities will it
endure?  If Photoshop is the heaviest activity you do and you choose to
limit your Photoshop-type work to your desktop system, you can look for a
laptop with improvements in other area such as RAM capacity and CPU speed
instead of spending the money of the better graphics engine.

Peace,
Gman