-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Install W98 SE

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:14:33 -0600

---- Original Message ----
From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:29 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Install W98 SE

> On 2 Aug 2005 at 13:35, Sammi wrote:
>> So I guess what my question really is will I risk losing
>> anything/everything if I just install this upgrade?
>

> If by anything/everything you mean your e-mail messages/address
> book/account info in OE, then no, you shouldn't lose that. Similarly,
> your ISP info is stored separately from Internet Explorer, and will
> be retained.

Yes, that is pretty much what I meant about the IE/OE bit.

> If what you're talking about is a proper Microsoft upgrade CD, and
> you are choosing to install over an existing copy of Windows [rather
> than perfoming a reformat and starting from scratch], then likewise,
> your stuff in My Documents, your favorites, your desktop, etc. should
> all be kept.

And yes, I am talking about a proper MS upgrade CD for W98 SE, I don't
want to reformat at this point in time, it's W98 FE.
Since I do have the 2nd hard drive, I could make copies of My docs,
favorites, any data files that I have created.

> ***** Having said that, I haven't done it, myself, so I can't give
> you a 100% iron-clad guarantee! *****
>

> Give the setup program on the CD a trial run - you can always cancel
> out of it before you get to the "copying files" stage. Usually
> Microsoft's operating system CDs will make it very clear in the first
> few steps if you have the option to retain existing info.

> Faustus

I understand what you mean about the "trial run", and I may very well
try that. And I understand also about the *100%* guarantee with
anything to do with computers, LOL. They can be so naughty and do
exactly what Murphy's Law expects them to...especially in the hands of
the unwary and unskilled. Like me.

My grandson has a wireless card in his old computer that uses this
machine of mine to connect to the internet. I don't want to hear his
caterwauling if I mess up those settings!

Thanks Faustus, for your prompt and courteous reply! I may try this
first...and then if I am successful, I can get all the images, midi etc
stored on CDs. Especially the songs the other grandkid has put on here,
that I hope never to have to listen to again!

Sammi