-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Hard Drives

  • From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:31:35 -0700

I have had and have a number of Western Digital Hard Drives.  The ones with
the 7200 and 8 mb of cache now carry the 3 yr warranty, but the others only
have one year.

I have no qualms with their drives.  I did have one go bad and it was
replaced with no problems.  When  you register your drive it is covered.
You can even check it out on line to be sure.

They paid the shipping to ship it to me and I used their box to ship the bad
one back to them.  They said they want you to ship the bad one first, but
the guy I talked to shipped me the new one right away.

I would suggest watching the sale papers.  It is not difficult to get a hard
drive for about $.50, yes 50 cents a GB.  There was a 200 GB hard drive on
sale last week...I think it was CompUSA..but it could have been Fry's or
Best Buy  (I check all the ads on Sundays).  You can sign up at CompUSA for
them to send you the weekly specials.  Sometimes it even comes in before
Sunday.  Office Max will send you the ads too!

Since I mentioned the 200 GB drive, check to be sure it comes with an ATA
card.  There is a 135 GB barrier (now I am talking about stuff I know
nothing about except what the package said)... You need to check for a bios
update and install the ATA card for the machine to recognize the whole
drive.

If you are building a new system with a new motherboard, this may not be an
issue for the bios, but I think the ATA card would still be a requirement.

You might be able to use that 13.6 GB drive for a backup of your critical
data.  No need to backup programs you have the disks for, just the data.
But, do remember to backup the programs you download... and the freebies you
download and do not have on cd's.

Just my thoughts... for whatever they are worth.

Enjoy!

Rose
Las Vegas