-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Hard Drives

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:10:22 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cajun" <cajun@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 2:38 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Hard Drives

> I'm following the hard drive thread with great interest as I am going to
embark on building my own computer in the near future.  I have a 5 year old
Dell with a 13.4GB IBM Deskstar in it that has never given me a single
problem.  My old computer had a 1.6GB Western Digital Cavier that went out
after a little over 1 year.
> I'm interested in a 7200 rpm drive with 8mb cache, but not everyone is
making one.  I'm leery of Western Digital because of my first computer
experience with them, but I'm currently hearing about more problems with
Maxtor.  What about Seagate?  Don't they make a drive with 8mb cache?

> I'll probably be looking for an 80GB drive.

It's a bit like asking for a recommend on a car..for everyone you find who's
had a bad experience, there is usually a queue of people ready to tell you
that they love theirs!!

My first two PC's had Western Digital HD's..and both HD's are still going
strong!! On the other hand, my IBM Deskstar 80gb drive-a name I thought I
could trust-goes t*ts up in a  year ;-(

Last night, I picked up a 120gb Western Digital 7200 drive for £59 (About
$95)...The 80gb drives were only  £10 cheaper, so it was worth going
bigger...It is louder than the IBM, and it runs rather hot..Not sure I'd
feel too comfortable leaving it running overnight, but it installed like a
dream.

Still trying to get access to the faulty IBM drive, thanks for all your (on
and off list) suggestions!

Andy