-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HD integry check software

  • From: DavisUnit <davist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:48:44 -0300

Glenn Folkvord (Hyperion Media) wrote:
> [...]
S.M.A.R.T. is a function of the CMOS+hard drive.  It has to be enabled,
and the hard drive has to support it (most do today).

>>How's the cpu cooling?  Are all fans working normally and the box clean?
>>

>These things seem to run fine.
>

>>Another possibility is the power supply.
>>

>But why should the crash happen only on labour-intensive tasks? Does the HD
>or Windows require more power when converting wave files to MP3?
>
>glenn

When you mentioned "/though sudden crashes for no apparent reason has
happened before/" and your hard drive checks out fine, then you
naturally have to look at other possibilities.... software, cooling
(especially cpu), and power supply come to mind.

Terry