-=PCTechTalk=- Re: [Fwd: Re: Re: Backup and latest Ghost (12.0)]

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:24:36 -0500

Dear Rrrrrrrr,
    While this revelation does alter the initial topic, it does not change
the initial prognosis.

    Nearly every file on your system has an extension (the part after the
period) and the OS uses that extension to determine what program should be
used to open it.  This information is stored in the registry along with the
location of the icon that should be shown next to those files.  Some of
those icons are actually buried inside of the program's EXE file, others may
be buried inside one of that app's support files (such as DLLs or others)
and some even point directly to actual icon files (they have an *.ico
extension).  On your system, it seems that some of these associations has
become skewed enough to throw off this 'icon identification' mechanism.

    My expectation (and hope) is that reinstalling the programs will restore
these associations and make everything right in the world.  I am not
promising that this will do the trick, but I have enough of that expectation
and hope in the idea that I'm willing to let you do all the wor, errr, I
mean, suggest that you try it.      ;O)

Peace,
GMan
http://reddit.com
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"