-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Gateway Question

  • From: "don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:06:16 -0500

I thought dinosaurs were extinct.  :-))

If you have a hard drive laying around collecting dust go ahead and use it.
4500, 5400 or 7200 should not matter... but then I would have said the same
about using PC600 memory to save a few bucks over the PC800.  It must be a
Gateway thing.

If you have to buy a hard drive, a new one will cost more than the computer
is worth, so look around for a used one somewhere.  I used to have 3 or 4
20-40 GB drives laying around and I'm sure others still do.

I looked at a few memory sites... one said your computer had 2 banks of 2
slots each (mount sticks in pairs only) and another said it was 4 banks of 1
slot each (mount sticks individually).  Either way you are looking at around
$75 to 125 for a gigabyte of RAM.

Apparently the Gateway uses Rambus memory sticks.  If I recall correctly,
that was a very short lived technology so the RAM will be in short supply
and higher priced.  (Compare to a little over $100 to add 2 GB to my Dell)

Wal*Mart is now selling an e-machines computer with Win XP Home, 2.xGHz
processor, DVD Super Drive and 512MB of RAM (RAM might be 1GB, but I don't
think so).  Price:  $298.00

So don't waste a lot of money on RAM or a hard drive unless you just want
the experience of working on and upgrading an old computer.

Don