-=PCTechTalk=- Re: File manager

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:19:18 -0400

Unless IYF can check CRC values, I'll give you a 'for instance' that'll
hopefully make it somewhat clearer.

I have numerous text-based files that get frequent updates and they're not
all in the same location.  To make the example  more specific, I use one of
them for storing sensitive info related to groups I own &/or moderate.  When
I make changes to it, the overall size doesn't always change (replace an
older 12 character password with a new one and the file size will still
remain the same).  The access date changes, but I cannot afford to trust
that date as my only indicator because there are other factors that can also
change that date stamp.  This means I'm going to have to peek inside those
text files that are not exact duplicates.  Using a utility that definitively
removes all of the exact duplicates from the process will limit my time to
dealing only with those files that are not true duplicates.  If I were to
reply solely on IYF, I'd find a TON of files that were the same size, but I
would have no idea which ones might contain slight, but very important,
differences.

By no means am I interested in discounting IYF's usefullness for many tasks.
It's just that this procedure, at least for me, requires an app that looks
at the file's CRC value.  If Don sees a way to use both ideas to get his own
work done, then that's the way he should use them.       :O)

Peace,
Gman