-=PCTechTalk=- Re: File manager

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:48:31 -0400

OK.  Now it is time to learn a bit about CRC.  IIRC it means Cyclic
Redundancy Check.  I just went to Wikipedia and I did recall
correctly.  It also tells me it is relatively easy to edit a document
and end up with the same CRC.  I think this would need to be an
intentional act and an accidental one would be a very rare
coincidence.  However, if you change only a 12 character string to
another 12 character string would the coincidence level not drop to a
more believable level of coincidence?

Other than that using the CRC seems like an excellent way to determine
identical files.  Especially if they were created by simply copying a
file from one location to another.

Don