-=PCTechTalk=- Re: FW: Thunderbird View

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:59:02 -0400

Apparently, the menu bar option only affects the "current window" and is
not a permanent change.

To change it permanently....

I assume Thunderbird is set to display at least two panes in its
window.  One being the folder list to the left and the other the list of
messages on the right.  A third pane may be present showing a preview of
the message selected in the list.

At the top of the message list is a row of column headings... Sender,
Subject, Date etc.  If Date is not present, click on the little icon
thingy to the far right of the column heading bar.  In the drop down
list select Date.  Then drag and drop the Date heading to any convenient
location on the heading bar.

Click on the little arrow thingy on the right of the Date column
heading.  If the arrow is pinting up the order will be in descending
order (oldest message at the top).  If pointing down they will display
in ascending order (newest message at the top).

Be aware:  Thunderbird remembers the last message selected and will
automatically open with that message displayed in the preview pane as
opposed to automatically displaying the oldest or newest message as some
email clients do.  If you deleted the last message selected it will
display the next message in the list.

N.B.  Every message folder can have a different heading selected to sort
on.  So "Inbox" can be on Date descending, "TechTalk" can be on subject
descending and "Sent Mail" can be on Recipient ascending.  And
Thunderbird will remember them all.

Don

Larry Southerland wrote:
> For a friend of mine.  He uses Thunderbird:  He wants to set it to always
> (by default) display incoming messages in order of the date of receipt.
>

> I was wrong about fixing the display of incoming messages.
>
> It is true there is a place where I can work on the problem:  top toolbar,
> View, display, sort by, date, descending.  The problem is that it won't hold
> the setting.  When I go out of email, and open it again, it returns to
> sorting by name of sender.

in the Subject.