-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Disappearing Address Bar

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:10:01 -0400

Hi Glo,
    SP3 does away with the Taskbar's 'Address Bar'.  Apparently, MS had to
remove the address bar because the courts ruled that it was antitrust to
have IE intergrated so much into the system, as it meant windows had to use
IE instead of an alternative browser.

    However, the arguements for that don't stand up in my court of logic.
If an alternate browser (for example, Firefox) is set as the default browser
on a system and you type in a web site address in the Address Bar, the
alternate browser opens up instead of IE.  this means the Address Bar is not
tied directly to IE and, therefore, is not an integral part of IE or a real
part of the antitrust issue.  That make me assume that MS did away with the
Bar as a means to quiet the courts without really doing anything negative to
the rest of the system.

    Still, the rest of SP3 is important and should not be avoided.  The
functionality of the adress bar still exists by using Start > Run, although
I'm not sure if the History is available there.  So, in my estimation, that
leaves us with three way to approach this problem.

1.    We can set up Windows Explorer (the file manager, not the browser)
with an icon that will give you access to your system's History repository.
It will give you access to all of the sites you have visited within the last
three weeks.  I would also suggest other simple tweaks to make this access
as simple as possible.

2.    You can replace the Address Bar with an alternate such as the Google
Deskbar that Don has raved about recently.  The post was under the subject
"Re: Still more help with updating XP Pro" and I can resend it if you tossed
out your copy.

3.    We can try a hack that may or may not bring back the real Address Bar.
If it works, it may or may not contain the previous 'history' entries you
seek.  The hack involves replacing a single file from SP3 with the SP2
version of the same file, while also working around Windows' File Protection
(which may require replacing it in more than one location).  Some users have
reported that it works while others have complained that it doesn't.  I have
not completed my researrch into the idea, so I cannot comment further until
I can get a clearer picture of everything involved.

Peace,
Gman