-=PCTechTalk=- Re: DSO exploit

  • From: "Lisa K." <matrix.afghanz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk" <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:18:57 -0700

Hey Chris,
I am interested in getting an answer to this myself... The same thing comes up
for me too... I went to the link mentioned and see a lot of MS bashing, but
still, a bit cautious to try the fix they offered...
Did anyone else get this fix?
Thanks, Lisa

From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- DSO Exploit -
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:31:36 -0400

I ran spybot tonight. It found:
DSO Exploit: Dat source object exploit.
I told it to fix it - it was a registry change.
so what was this really? a microsoft hole? It didn't
get on my system by not having windows up to date - it is up to date- just
checked again to be sure.
so is it something that is sneaking in thru a hole that microsoft hasn't patched
yet?

If I click on the link in spybot's web site, it says this:

Internet ExplorerSecurity
back to index
Company:Microsoft
Product:Internet Explorer
Category:Security
Last information edit:20021020
Threat:Security hole
Company URL:http://www.microsoft.com/
Company Product URL:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/
Company Privacy URL:http://www.microsoft.com/info/privacy.htm
Description
There's a security hole in IE allowing websites to execute code without asking
you first. You can find more information at
http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/

I read this page (above) http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/  but I'm
not sure I really understand what it is saying.

does anyone have any thoughts or simple translations for me?
Last night I opened a web page I found in a search - and it cycled thru and
wouldn't close. I had to log out to get rid of it So I immediately ran spybot -
and it found nothing at that point in time.

CrisS

My prayer:  " Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am".