-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Credit cards and the Internet

  • From: "~Luanne Ashe" <ashegroup@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:15:03 -0400

I am a part of a HUGE international ECommerce business, and wish to say that
if you are likely better off to give your credit card number over a trusted,
signed and secure server, than to give it to a gas station attendant or
waitress at a restaurant.  Here they can be "double-dipped" or impressions
made.
Read your original Credit Card contract in the fine print.  Most credit card
companies do not hold you liable for more than $50 of fraudulent usage.  It
is the VENDOR who takes the biggest risk and the biggest "ding" if your card
is used fraudulently.

Of course, it may take some time to get fraud investigated and properly
credited, but in the end, the consumer is NOT usually the one who bears the
final brunt of fraudulent usage.

~LU