-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Comcast Linksys modem

  • From: Disastar <disastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:01:36 -0500

Well that is some interesting data.  I'm surprised there are some servers
that give you better speed than Atlanta.  Maybe the Atlanta area is over
saturated.  Usually you run the speedtest on your closest server because if
there is any bottleneck between you and the server you choose, it will give
you a falsely slower speed.  It would be interesting to see the min, max,
and average to either Wash DC or NY.  If you still have such a big
difference between min and max then you might have either a slight problem
or a bottleneck somewhere.  Hmm, were you running those tests without
anything else using the internet?  And nothing slowing down the PC?  With
speeds like that I see customers that have PC's that can't handle that speed
all the time (but less and less often).  I don't think that is the case with
you though.  I'm drooling over the specs of your new PC.  ;)  I wish I could
afford to upgrade, but maybe I'll upgrade either my video card or CPU.  My
video card is my biggest bottleneck and I'm running my 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo at
2.8GHz, which isn't too bad, but it's an early model which has pretty skimpy
caches built in.

Is your ISP through Cable or FIOS?  I'm not used to people getting speeds
that close to mine without them using Cablevision also.  I normally get
between 24-30 Mbps Download and 4-5 Mbps Upload.