-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Cassettes to CD via PC...

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:50:33 -0400

Audacity is as complicated or simple as you want it to be.  It can be used
only for its ability to split the resulting waveform into individual tracks,
if that's all you need it to do (and it pretty much sounds like it from your
description).

I've never heard of this one, but it works like many that are available at a
price.  I have found that some music tapes lend themselves well to an app
like this, but spoken word (as in most lesson tapes) will give it fits.  The
app works by detecting silences between songs.  However, lessons usually
have many gaps between sentences and the app will figure they're the gaps
it's looking for.  If your lesson tapes are at all similar to the impression
I get when I think of lesson tapes, you'll end up with hundreds of
relatively small 'tracks' that are incomplete.  A program like Audacity will
allow you to actually see the entire tape's waveform as a single entity and
you'll be able to select a full lesson section and export it to its own
separate file.  You can then delete that section from the main waveform and
move onto finding the end of the next 'lesson' to repeat the process.  It's
actually pretty simple once you get the hang of it.  One piece of really
strong advice I'll give you is to always make a copy of the recorded
waveform and then only 'work' on the copy.  If you mess up anywhere, just
make yourself a new copy and go to work on that.  It'll save you from having
to re-rip the original tape.

On the other hand, if I'm misunderstanding what you mean by 'lesson tape',
let me know.      :O)

Peace,
Gman