-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD-R Quality

  • From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:34:07 -0400

sounds wonderful! I wouldn't have the knowledge to tackle something like that -
which, computer companies - and computer techs, know - My son, however if he was
willing, might be able to tackle it. I just wouldn't wanting it sounding like
his does! I think I've already explained - his sounds like a dozen hair dryers
running in his room!! and the heat it gives off!! He needs some of those quiet
fans - and a little more knowledge too, I believe!
It might be worth considering tho at that time -

I ditched ME - and haven't felt guilty about it since I did!!  I'm ready to do
some overhauling on this computer because it still has a ME hard drive on here
for the warrenty - which is expiring in october. I had to keep the ME operating
system intact to keep my warrenty with Dell.That was too early on too, I gather,
because I have a friend who upgraded after I did and she was told totally
different information than I was, and Dell actually sent her the XP disk (she
bought it) to upgrade. (it was surprisingly cheaper for her to buy it thru Dell
than thru a store). I wasn't given the option to buy xp and upgrade thru Dell.

CrisS
From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I have an HP burner on here - because, when I got this computer, I thought
I could use my old burner from my old computer  - WRONG!! the new system
came with winME - and the old burner wasn't compatible. (it even threw my
audio players into hissy fits!)  The only burner we found out there they
actually guarenteed it would work with a ME system at that point, was this
HP burner - so that is what we bought. It's 3 years old now - and I haven't
had one complaint. (knock on wood now that I've said that! )

Bear in mind that threee years ago, CD writing technology wasn't as advanced
as it is now, and compatibility was nothing like as uniform as it is now. I
doubt any drive you buy now would not work 'out of the box'.

Also, ME was a new OS, and it's always the same when a new OS comes out, old
equipment tends to take a while to get drivers built to make it work
properly. Chances are, you'd find drivers to work it now.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

> If I buy a new computer, it will probably have whatever it comes with -
New computer could either be a few months away, or 2 years - if this one
holds up for what I need it to do. My daughter will go to college in 2
years - and I hate to have to be buying 2 computer's in 2 years, so I am
still working on hubby to get a new one now. Then see - we give this one to
my daughter. He thinks it will be fine for college in 2 years. And it might
be - but then - it will be 5 years old - which is ancient in computer years.
but then - it wouldn't be high up on the list of computer's to be stolen!
and it would do word processing fine - and AIM messaging just fine!! What
more does a college student need? - providing the computer is still
running!! LOL

My daughter still uses my old Cyrix P200-4.6gb hard drive (It's even got an
ISA sound card in it!!!)  set up that was high technology 7 or 8 years
ago..Works just fine. If she needs to do any memory/processor hugging stuff,
she uses mine-but it's not very often!!

Remember, you can upgrade what you've got rather than buying everything from
scratch...When i bought my Athlon 1000 30-odd  months ago I thought I'd
never need to buy another PC again-it was so fast compared to what had gone
before..In the meantime, I've got heavily into audio and video editing, so
an upgrade became, if not essential, certainly desirable-the thing is...my
hard drives, my CD writer, sound card, video & Sound card,
monitor.etc..etc.. were just fine. I went out to buy a new motherboard,
processor and new RAM-I got an Athlon 2600 XP (333 fsb), a decent Asus board
and 768mb branded DDR memory-it cost me under £200 and they even threw in a
nice new case and upgraded the processor fan to a 'silent'-type one.

OK,  the MoBo was faulty and it meant I had to do a bit of running around,
but it was replaced and it took only about an hour to get the whole thing
built up and running-for under £200, I've got myself what is to all intents
and purposes a new PC that laughs at jobs my 'Old' Athlon 1000 used to puff
and wheeze at!! Aditionally, my office PC got a facelift with some of the
RAM From my old machine, and my daughter will get her PC (see above)
upgraded with what's left of the old machine plus the CD drive/hard drive
she's got in her current one..

That's 3 PC's given a SEROUS boot up the arse, performance-wise, for 200
quid-and I'd bet you North Americans could dfo it even CHEAPER!!

Cheers

Andy