-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD Burning Software

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:53:45 -0500

The feature built into XP that allows you to burn files to CD is an
older version of Adaptec's (now Roxio) DirectCD program which is a
packet writing program.  It's another in a long line of bundled
applications that are either old, limited or buggy that Microsoft has
added to Windows.  Seldom do any of these work as well as the full blown
programs available elsewhere.

My statement was to indicate that Windows' drag'n'drop feature wasn't
part of any current burning program.

And don't equate "always works" in a situation limited to one computer
or one household with the idea that a program is functional across a
wide range of platforms and operating systems.  I learned a lesson a
long time ago on a service call out in the middle of nowhere when the
CD's I needed wouldn't read in the customer's machine.  I had thought I
would save money by using CD-RW's and erasing and updating the info.
When I got home, I put all the info on CD-R's using the TAO/DAO method
and haven't had a problem since.

Backups mean different things to different people.  If you KNOW that
you'll always be reading those CD's in the same machine with the same
OS, then using a method like that included in Windows is OK for you.
When I talk about backups, I'm talking about securing vital information
and putting it in a form that will be as widely readable as possible, so
I can access it as quickly as possible, on the first machine I have
available.  I am usually involved with corporate records, bank records,
business transactions, etc.

Tom