-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Building Computer

  • From: "Andy" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:56:14 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cajun" <cajun@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "PCTechTalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Any recommendations on a motherboard for an AMD chip, and a case for an
AMD setup?  What brand heat sink and case fans are quiet?

Which AMD chip (type and speed) do you have? How much money do you want to
spend? Do you want one with 'Everything On Board' (i.e. Sound, Video, Modem,
LAN..etc..) or one without all/some of these?

In my office, I'm running an AMD Duron 1200 on a PC Chips LMR810
motherboard. This is at the cheaper end of the motherboard market, but it
has 'everything onboard' and it works very, very well-I built the PC up
about 18 months ago, and the board, processor and case cost me around £110
(About $160)-I already had the other bits in the PC it was going to replace.
I think the board alone was about £45 ($70).

At home, I run a Gigabyte motherboard (Can't remember the model) with an
Athlon 1000 processor-this has on board audio only, but I have it disabled
and a 'proper' sound card in one of the expansion slots (The on board sound
works fine, but I do a lot of audio work on my home PC so needed something
better). This is about 30 months old now, so I'd guess that it's been
superseded by now, but it works like a dream-Even flash-upgrading the BIOS
online went like a dream recently!!

You will need to know what type and speed your AMD is. If it's the XP
variety, then you'll need something with a faster FSB than if it's an Athlon
or Duron up to about 1400. If it's older still (the K series-type), then
it's another different type. Mind you, if it IS that old, it's probably
worth wanging a new processor in too-you can buy 1.4 Athlons and Durons for
very little money these days.

There are some very nice 'silent' fan systems around, for both case fans and
processor fans, but they can get expensive. Take a look here

http://www.silentpcreview.com/
http://www.xpcgear.com/quietcooling.html

Cheers

Andy