-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Booting Knoppix

  • From: "barnestoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:07:25 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "DH (Rick) Holmes" <hayvan@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Thanks, Andy. I've recovered some courage, and ordered a Knoppix CD,
> which I hope will work better than the downloaded one that I have.
> I see on todays LangaList that RedHat is going to cost in future!!
> Thanks a lot,

It shouldn't work any better or worse in all honesty, Rick...unless
something went wrong during the download process or during the disc image
burn (You did burn it as a disc image, didn't you?) of course!

It's a good way of getting the flavour of Linux without the worry of doing a
dual install with Windows (Though all the versions of Linux I've used in
recent times all come with good installers which make installing it
alongside Windows an absolute doddle!).. It's also VERY handy for rescuing
data from your hard drives if Windows won't boot up, though you must have a
partition/hard drive formatted in FAT or FAT32 if you want to save anything,
as Knoppix cannot write to an NTFS drive.

hope it works for you-

Andy