-=PCTechTalk=- Re: 137GB Limitation on HDD

  • From: "andy" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:49:17 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PCTechTalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 12:04 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- 137GB Limitation on HDD

> I have a 200GB Maxtor drive that I can't for the life of me get my system
to recognize it as being so. If using FDISK, I'm told the drive is 65GB.
I've used the Maxtor MaxBlast software, both the one that came with the
drive AND the newer version that I downloaded from Maxtor, and still no
luck. At least using the MaxBlast software, the drive does show as 137GB.
But, once back into DOS to reinstall Windows it still shows less than 137GB.
> I'm well aware of the 137GB limitation with Windows. My BIOS is up-to-date
with the latest version, supporting 48-bit LBA. So, the motherboard/BIOS can
handle it. But, just to be on the safe side, I even used the included Maxtor
ATA-133 IDE card. But, still, same thing. Can't get passed that 137GB
limitation.

> I need some serious help here.

Not sure what the Maxtor Max Blast allows you to do, but does it allow you
to partition the drive as you install it? I did the same on an IBM Deskstar
HDD that wouldn't show the correct size, and that solved my problem.I split
it into 4 smaller chunks...once installed, I used Partition Magic to re-size
the partitions to the sizes I wanted

Andy