-=PCTechTalk=- PrtScn-Memory-Burning update

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:53:20 -0600

Hi,

Just a note to let you know that so far after doing all of the suggested
'fixes' for my problems, last night and even so far this morning...I am
running with both memory sticks installed. Everything that I have tried is
working well! PrtScn works, and so far no partially displayed windows, no
phantom windows and so forth. AND, last night I was moving, copying,
deleting a huge amount of files, and really using this machine...just before
I shut down I did one last screenshot. It worked flawlessly!

I wonder if part of the reason that things seemed to work after removing one
stick was because I had to shut down, pull the stick and then reboot. With
every one of those reboots, Windows did its best to clean up after me. So it
would work for awhile, but if I continued to run with only one stick
installed, it would degrade over a few hours. I had thought that was because
I had the wrong stick installed.

It may also be, that after updating a few things, that all of these fixes
helped, along with the Temp files dump.

But, I do think that may have been a big part of my problem. Before I dumped
them, I took a look at some of the dates...I am ashamed to admit that some
of them went back over 2 years ago, close to the time I got this pc! I was
much more careful in W98 since it crashed if you looked at it wrong. XP has
run so smoothly for the most part, that I became complacent about cleaning
out my files and backing them up.

When I talk about organizing, I thought that I had a pretty good set up for
my files, but further examination shows that I was insane, blind and plumb
silly. The items that I wish to back up run into Gigs not MBs. I heartily
recommend to myself that as a pack rat, I need to review my storage policy
more often.
Had I not had these problems, I would still be happily stuffing things into
the wrong places and may very well have run into a failure from which I
would be unable to recover these files.  I have learned a lot from this
group!

I have not tried burning any files yet, but last night I did as Gman
suggested, and set my EZC6 to test only and not record. It did find several
things that it did not like. Just like you said, the files were 'buried' too
deep. I have set about organizing my files that I wish to burn radically. I
also found zip files that were damaged or empty, duplicate files and other
bad files. I'll be watching my future downloads a lot more carefully.

I hope that I have not jinxed myself by reporting this! If not, I'll be
happily re-organizing the files that I wish to burn. I am relearning how to
use my burning program and discovering functions that I didn't even know
existed in it.

Got some joy back!
Sammi