-=PCTechTalk=- OE, documents/photos, System Restore

  • From: "Terry" <glutathionemiracles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PC Tech Talk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:31:43 -0600

Hi,
I need to use system restore on my daughters laptop, which has
become my primary computer for email.
OE 6, Windows XP personal.  I have a ton of email, a lot of it
received after what I will use as my restore point and various
documents that I don't want to lose.
My plan is to copy all the email (and the documents after the
restore point date) to a CD-R, then after restoring the system I
would delete all of the email remaining,  leaving the rules,
folders and address book intact.  Then copying  all of the email
back into OE from the CD-R.
Is this a viable plan?  I'm thinking this would involve backing
up OE,  but only the messages, then deleting the messages left
after the System Restore and then restoring the backed up
messages.  Is this possible and would the messages go back into
the proper folders?    Or  would it be better to get a different
(free) email program that is capable of importing/exporting
from/to OE?    Could that be done using a CD-R?   I have over 80
folders/subfolders and heaven only knows how many rules and
blocked senders so I really don't want to set up a new email
program from scratch.
Any and all suggestions would be welcome, my responses will most
likely be delayed since I no longer have a land phone line and am
only able to access the internet for a couple of hours a couple
of times a week from a friend's phone line.  My PCTechTalk folder
has 1584 messages, 1476 unread at this point and I'm not sure
when I will be able to connect to the internet next!!

Thanks alot,
Terry M.  (not the Terry (Davis?) that knows what she's doing!!)