-=PCTechTalk=- H E L P ! I E will not go to a web page - Follow up

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 04:34:16 -0800

Thanks for the info about SP2 and most importantly..the recipe...ha ha!

She got the machine with SP 2 on it I believe.... it is only a few months
old.

As a follow up...  HP has her do a System Restore.   I am not surprised at
that... but I am disappointed.

She did the restore. And was getting her email back and installing programs.
She got a message that she had to update java.  She went to do that..in the
midst the machine froze.  Then things got worse after she rebooted.  She
called HP again and they had her type something in the Start/Run... she did
not remember what it was.  It was taking a very long time.
They told her that was because there were corrupted files in Windows and it
was repairing them.

Then, she had trouble trying to get her email accounts to work, but finally
they did.

I have a bad feeling about all of this.  I am leaning towards a hard drive
failure.  Early on, when she was having problems, she said she heard the
hard drive running hard but nothing was happening.

I have reminded her to do the System recovery disks.  If she loses the hard
drive she has nothing and she will be devastated.   I think she has all her
graphics and data backed up.

I can only hope she has done the restore.

Rose
Las Vegas