-=PCTechTalk=- Fixing the strange things on my WinXP pc...

  • From: "Donna@Skip" <do1212sk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 11:05:42 -0500

Okay, so the "CollectData" XML files on my pc are for the system restore
system? (that I've already used once...) -That makes it okay then. (I
guess..)

But after looking at sooo many AV locations (where they are all hyping their
special little programs and trying to sell you something), I'm coming to the
conclusion that New Boundary's "Sifxinst" and "Prismxl" are nothing but
eMachines or CompUSA (or some clever AV software makers') installed DECOYS!
This odd software apparently is large office administrator management stuff
that has no business on a home PC, and all these little AV websites are
going "ooo ooo, we doan know what all that stuff is but watchit you know it
may be a trojan so buy OUR stuff to get rid of it even tho we all doan know
exactly whatitis!!"

Anyway, I've neutralized this software by removing it from my Program Files
to a safe storage area, where I've also changed their execute and systems
file extensions to non-operating garbage extensions.  If it should turn out
that my pc actually needs this stuff (which I sincerely doubt!) I'm sure it
will let me know in the future and I can then restore it...

BTW I do know what remote control of my system via Win XP really is. Verizon
has fixed problems on my system several times by me giving their tech
permission to "share" my pc. It's really wild to sit in front of your pc and
listen to the tech on the phone while he/she moves their cursor around on
your screen...!   It works very well however, and the Verizon techs have
been absolutely excellent in fixing things! (They also assure me that they
leave no strange "sharing" software behind on my pc, and also that they
cannot do it without my permission...) So I have no problem with this, as
it's been extremely helpful..........

I do also know about free protection. I already have AVG, WinPatrol,
AdAware, Spybot, and Zone Alarm Free... Hopefully THAT will be enough!

And now, A Tip From Me: If you dislike cookies as much as I do, I've
discovered that setting WinPatrol's cookie filters to reject any cookies
with the numbers 1-thru-9 in their names will knock out all of them at the
end of a browsing session!
Namaste,
drummer (];>]}