-=PCTechTalk=- First post

  • From: "Wake me when it's over" <pladd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:22:29 -0700

Hello All,

I am perhaps the Forest Gump of this list, and have been lurking for some
time, hoping to learn as I go. I must thank so many of you.

In the beginning, I was struggling along on an older ( 1987) computer, and
now have had my new XP just long enough I can once again, get through the
basics that I need on a day to day basis.

But now I need some help, even though I am not sure I am qualified to be
posting here yet.

I have an odd problem. I am one of the nice 'help ladies' on several thyroid
/ Graves' disease lists, BB's and forums. And now I have made a blunder. I
sent a link to a newbie, who it turns out, is not a very nice person. She
has managed to use this link, into another forum, to post, without
registering. She is posting as ME, complete with my profile , and complete
access to edit, delete etc . She refuses to fix things, even though, it
seems her computer skills are better than mine.

With the help of the moderators, the solution we have come up with, is for
me to register with a similar name, and then they will freeze my account.

But...from here on, I am lost. When I go to the main page, where I can get
to as an outsider, there is no way to register. If I go any farther, the
computer knows who I am.

So, my guess is that I must figure out where these cookies are in my
computer, and get rid of them.  Maybe then, if I tried to enter the site, it
would ask me to register ?

But what if it refuses me based on my ISP # already being used there ?

The trouble is I have people depending on my not losing access to the site
for too long. Many of these gals are newly diagnosed, very ill, and have no
support system at home.

I am sure I have not given enough info here, but I guess this is the best
way to start.

-Pam L -