-=PCTechTalk=- Dire Need of Help

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 11:56:24 -0400

Got a customer's computer that is driving me nuts. Trying to do everything
possible except a complete format (though I will if I must).
On a laptop, using either the built-in wireless adapter, or attaching my own
USB wireless adapter, or even attaching an Ethernet to the built-in ethernet
jack. bottom-right shows me that I get a connection. If I go to the command
line and do a check, it shows me a correct IP ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK, DEFAULT
GATEWAY, DHCP SERVER, and DNS SERVER. So, it all looks fine, as though it
should be working.

Though, either Internet Explorer, Firefox, or the new Safari browser that's
installed will not connect. Gives me the no internet error.

I have NOD32, Ad-Aware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster, all trying to update, but
doesn't work, as there's no internet connection (or at least that's what
they say).

But, here's where it gets confusing.

If I run the APPLE SOFTWARE UPDATE, that'll update fine. It'll download the
updates and install them no problem.

I'm sure its possible that some other apps might update properly, but have
not found anything else. I do know that antivirus and the spyware apps do
not update. And, no access online via the browsers. I also did antivirus and
adware/spyware checks and have found nothing negative on the system.

Anyone have any ideas?

~ SirTroth
~ ICQ: 1717439
~ YAHOO: SirTroth