[pchelpers] interesting,

  • From: "Billyus" <billy.e@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <JW_Tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:14:26 +0100

I've always said that upgrades are not infinite and you can only upgrade to a
point. here is a letter from reader's letters in a magazine called
Computeractive..
Billy

Here's a tip for readers: I upgraded my motherboard, memory and processor to an
Athlon XP 11700. I bought two 512Kb memory modules and was very pleased when
the whole machine fired up perfectly first time. Very soon though, I started
getting conflicts, program errors and all sorts. I changed every setting in the
BIOS and spent many hours checking connections and reloading Windows 98SE.

After four months of this, I was prepared to get rid of the motherboard and buy
an expensive, tried and tested one. I mentioned this to a colleague who said I
had overloaded the motherboard. He advised me to remove the second memory
module. I did this and the machine has been running sweetly ever since.

Andrew Hedges via e mail

---