[pchelpers] Re: Thunderbird nstmp

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:20:45 +0300

Hi Re-Na

> Thunderbird creates these nstmp files.  It takes all my emails and
> duplicates them and takes up a lot of storage.  My laptop is full, I
> need to make sure I delete these.  The other day it created 7 of them.
> Only one is  being contrary and not deleting.
> I just found this:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders

Great, yes, that's the page i sent you to the last time we discussed
this problem. It explains pretty well why compacting doesn't get rid of
these temp folders on some people's computers. As explained on that
page, TB produces nstmp folders during compacting as a precaution on all
computers but normally deletes them automatically. Please let me know if
something is not clear on that page so that i can edit it if necessary.

> And I found the file to delete:
> C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application
> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\local folders
> It was listed there in local folders.
> So I deleted it.

Hopefully you first checked that the original folder is okay (e.g.
compare number of messages in "View -> Toolbars -> Status Bar").

> Hopefully it will stay gone now.

In addition to the things mentioned on that page, you may need to
upgrade to 1.5 to stop getting those temp folders; it's a bug in the old
1.07 version of Thunderbird that you're using, and it's been fixed since
1.5. If you're really low on free hard drive space, that may also be
causing the problem. A workaround is to compact small folders first.

I forget what the result of the discussion on the lack of room on your
hard drive was. Can't you get rid of some programs that take up a lot of
room and that you never use or move some huge or many large files to
CDs? Are you planning to get that external drive you mentioned?