[pchelpers] SYSTEM BACKUP PROBLEM

  • From: GE1932M@xxxxxxx
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:51:31 EDT

In anticipation of purchasing a new computer, I  wanted to backup ALL the
information in my system.

I'm running XP Pro, and went to the Backup Wizard,  and designated the 'F'
drive (my RW drive) as the storage  location.

All went well until I received a couple of  messages;
    Backup could not complete  due to an error ---
    Windows Delayed Write  Failed
        Windows was unable to save all the data for the file
F:\Backup#1.bkf.  The data has been lost.  This error may be caused by  a
failure of your
computer hardware or network connection. ( I have NO network connection)
Please
try to  save the file elsewhere.
Properties file indicates the CD is  FULL with 598MB

----------------------------------

        Underneath that message ... another msg box
    Backup  Utility
        You have either run out of space or the backup file (.bkf) is too
large for this disk. (Certainly !! we're talking about  12 GB of information to
transfer)
        NOTE:  If this disk is formatted with FAT32, the  maximum possible
size for the backup file is limited to 4GB.  The backup  operation will stop.

---------------------------------

    Under System  Tools - System Information ... the following :

Drive        C:
Description        Local  Fixed Disk
Compressed    No
File  System        FAT32
Size        25.21  GB (27,072,577,536 bytes)
Free  Space        12.74 GB (13,678,116,864 bytes)
Volume Name
Volume Serial Number        383BC27D
I  would assume that the File System being FAT32 ..... that the formatting of
the  CD was under FAT32, and is thus limited to 4GB
Now  the $64 dollar question.  How can I backup the complete system, onto a
number of  RW - CDs ?

Gerald  Michael
San Dimas, Calif.  (L.A.)