[pchelpers] Re: S.O.S. I lost my CD ROM drive and my DVD drive

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:29:53 +1200

Inge wrote:
> Thanks John.
>
> I took a look (I really haven't got a clue what you are talking about.) One
> cable (a big red thing) goes from the DVD drive to the CD ROM. It has a
> paper on that says "MSI Slave." Then another one like it (it says "MSI
> System") goes from the CD ROM to the motherboard (I guess that is what is
> it.)
If it is a wide, flat cable, it is an IDE cable. If it is a round one
with a delicate plastic plug on each end, it is a SATA (serial ATA)
connection. If it has those, get a tech to do it because they damage easily.

> You say "detach the mains."  What is mains?
The mains is another way of describing the AC power plug.
  I understand the rest. What is
> "contact cleaner spray?" Do I need it?
It is usually a petrochemical based spray that lubricates and cleans
metal parts of dust and grime. Many refer it it as 'contact cleaner'.
You can get it from electronic shops or petrol stations in many places.
Note: Avoid water based contact cleaners unless you want trouble.
> If I do what you say, is it going to eat me up or shoot me dead?
No, but you could harm the machine if care is not taken with it.
> Why me?
You got the machine. A tech could do this easily for you.